3D CONCEPT OUTCOME

   GOLDEN HORIZON BLOCK A CONCEPT 



As part of the plan I set out for my outcomes this term, I was required to construct a physical 3d model of my design. In my final design sketch post weeks ago, I came up with a design but decided to tweak it a bit. This is because I needed space for the elevator and the staircase so I doubled the single staircase design. Without wasting time lets dive into the development process. 



In order to obtain these pieces I used the CAD software to draw out the required pieces. I will expand more on the CAD process after this blog. However, below are the pieces I cut out on the AutoCAD software. 







In the background, you can see the pieces I cut out at the workshop using the laser cutter. For my 3d concept, I exempted the ground floor and only constructed the first to 5th floor since the apartments are the main focus of my outcomes. The materials I used were punk board and acrylic.  In the picture above I began by gluing the pieces together for the 1st floor. You can see the doors that open to the balcony and the exterior walls. I did this using adhersive glue I bought from the student union. 




The next step was to glue the acrylic terraces onto the board using the adhesive glue. This process was not difficult as I have become abreast with the use of glue and architectural materials. 


I repeated the same process for the second, third fourth and fifth floors. As you can see the building is receding gradually due to the design. I made a slight mistake in the measurements by not leaving allowance/ extra space on the boards for the walls so I had to shorted the width of the walls using the craft knife. It was a bit frustrating but I pulled through 



Bear in mind that throughout this process I did not glue them onto one another. I put them together individually and finally stacked them onto one another after I finished


At this point in the developmental process I had completed the main building ( block A). I then began to deliberate on the layout of the landscape. I looked at the floor plan and took my inspiration from there.  



For this, I used grass sheets I bought from Amazon and I cut it into the required shapes. I then applied glue onto the mount board before sticking the pieces onto the board. I was going for a minimalistic look so as you can see there isn't a lot going on in the background compared to my Art Portfolio One project 


To finish it off, I added LED lights to the base in order to lay emphasis on the design. In my earlier blogs, I received this inspiration from the lights on the walkway on the DMU campus. Because I didn't have walkways on this design I decided to rather put the lights around the perimeter of the base. At the Golden Horizon these lights will be turned on at night to create ambience and to enable easier vision at night. 




Constructing this model was not difficult but the challenging aspect was using the Auto CAD software because I am not used to that interface. Overall, I am satisfied with the outcome and I believe my time at DMUIC has enabled me to build my 3d concept skills with practice in the 2d 3d module and Art Portfolio


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME

MAJOR PROJECT PLAN

INITIAL RESEARCH: ATELIERS JEAN NOUVEL- MONAD TERRACE