AUTO CAD

 USING AUTO CAD FOR MY 3D CONCEPT 


Auto CAD is a software which is used frequently when it comes to model building. It all forms part of the Auto Desk collection of software which also includes Revit which is similar to Sketchup. 






As you can see from the picture above, that is the main interface of the CAD software. It consists of different menus you can use to draw shapes. 

In order to use accurate measurements I used my scale which was 1 metre: 100cm which means for example 5 metres is equal to 5 cm. In AUTOCAD measurements are in mm hence I converted my measurements in cm to mm. Therefore 5 cm becomes 50 mm since 10 mm makes 1 cm. 





In order to draw shapes or lines I selected the line or rectangle button in order to accurately. Once you select the button and tap on the screen a prompt will pop up for you to type in the required measurements. Afterwards, I tapped on the enter button when drawing every shape required. I repeated this process for all the shapes I drew. My shapes are geometric hence drawing them was not too difficult. However, because I was new to this I got frustrated easily because of the repeated tapping and prompts which needed to be entered. 




As you can see in the image above, I marked out red lines for the doors which you saw in my 3d Concept post which is the one before this. I did this because I will eventually use the laser cutter and it uses colours to identify which sections it should cut and not cut. Therefore to make sure it cuts out the doors I used red lines. On this software, I cut out the parts needed for the first to the fifth floor which you can see in the previous post.



Afterwards, I saved it as a DXF file to use at the 3D printing workshop. Overall, this was a new experience for me because last term I carried out the process manually. But using this software make development easier especially for my project because of the many compartments and sections. 


In the next blog, I will discuss how my workshop session went and whether it was successful or not 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME

MAJOR PROJECT PLAN

INITIAL RESEARCH: ATELIERS JEAN NOUVEL- MONAD TERRACE